Five Ways to Make a Mid-Season Holiday Change
December 4, 2019
- Start a holiday journal. Every evening write down three things you noticed that day, things that connected you with the meanings of the holidays.
- Meet or talk with someone new. Do you know your neighbors? Talking to someone new can be daunting, but remember start with a smile. Don’t know where to begin? Ask them about their holidays, family, or pets.
- Take time to breathe and relax. Don’t make a list, don’t beat yourself up for what’s undone. For five minutes every day of the month just take a moment to recharge and take some deep breaths.
- Simplify wrapping gifts. Use paper that makes you feel good, and whatever level of wrapping elegance you usually achieve, and cut back one level. Feeling artistic? Decorate a paper bag or use the Sunday funnies as wrapping.
- Do something for somebody you don’t know. Give a gift certificate anonymously. Donate to a local food pantry. Buy toys or clothes for the kids from a local holiday tree. You don’t have to share their values. You don’t have to get any credit. Just give something tangible to somebody you don’t know. And know that the world is a little better today because of you.